Frequently Asked Questions

ARCH Enrichment Programs

When is the best time to enroll my child in ARCH courses?
We have three terms a year - Summer term (Jun to Aug), Fall term (Sept to Dec) and Spring term (Jan to May). We recommend students to join our taster program in Summer and continue to the full year program (Fall and Spring).

How do I know which level of program is suitable for my child?
Class placements will not depend solely on the applicant's school grade. Assessment is required for certain enrichment courses to gauge the student's level. Please refer to the application form or call us for more details. 

ARCH Admissions Guidance - US / UK / HK

Students are encouraged to schedule an initial one-on-one consultation with our Admissions Consultants for the US, UK and/or HK. 

US Consultation - Boarding School

  • When should my son/daughter start preparing for studying abroad in the US?
    US boarding schools are also known as university-preparatory schools or prep schools.  Prep schools provide 4-years of education from grades 9-12.  The acceptance rate into top boarding schools is generally higher for students entering grades 9 and 10, although exceptional students may be considered for grades 11 and 12.  Students submit applications the year before their matriculation year.  
  • What examinations are required by boarding schools? 
    Most boarding schools require candidates to take SSAT/ACT/SAT to evaluate their English and Math standards.  In addition, international students are required to take the TOEFL test. For grades 9 and 10 prospective students, most boarding schools required students to take SSAT. As for grades 11 and 12 prospective students, most are required to take the ACT/SAT. 
  • What is SSAT? When should my son/daughter take it?
    SSAT stands for "Secondary School Admission Test".  The entire test is approximately 3 hours. You receive a percentile reference for each section (1-99%).  Your individual and total scores percentiles are compared to students of your gender and grade in the Canada and US who have taken the SSAT on a standardized test date over the past three years to calculate.  Scores in each section range from 500-800 and the perfect composite score is 2400. 
    Available test dates in Hong Kong are available here. Candidates can register online for the international test here
  • What is TOEFL?
    TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language.  It is by far one of the most widely accepted tests for non-native English speakers. The TOEFL is comprised of Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing sections. For further information, please visit here.
  • How much will study abroad cost?
    Boarding schools tuition range from approximately US $46,000 to US $55,000 per year.  Although most boarding schools tuition fees include dining and residential service, parents should visit the school’s website or contact the admission office for further information. 
  • Do boarding schools offer financial aid or scholarships?
    Most boarding schools provide financial aid only for federal students (i.e. US citizens).  However, outstanding international students may also be granted scholarships at certain schools.  Since different boarding schools offer different financial aid options and scholarships, parents are strongly advised to visit the school’s website or contact the financial aid office for further information.

US Consultation - University

  • When should applications be submitted to US universities? 
    Student can apply early action/decision or regular decision to US universities. Early action/decision deadline for most universities is on Nov 1. Regular decision deadline for most universities is on Jan 1. 
  • What examinations are required by colleges? 
    Most colleges require candidates to take the SAT/ACT to evaluate their English (reading/writing) and Math standards.  In addition, international students whose English is not their native or first language are required to take the TOEFL test. Some colleges require candidates to take additional SAT Subject Tests. Candidates should visit university websites for further information.
  • What is the SAT? 
    The SAT is a standardized test for US university admissions. Scores in Reading & Writing and Mathematics section each range from 200-800 and the perfect composite score is 1600.
    For further information and test registration, please visit here.
  • How is US university education system different from UK tertiary education system? 
    One of the main differences between the US and UK university education systems is that US colleges provide 4 years of education whereas UK universities provide 3 years of education. Also, while most UK universities require students to declare their majors prior to admissions, US universities allow students to declare their majors after their freshman or sophomore year (i.e. first or second year in university). Since UK and US universities are very different not only in terms of education philosophy but also school cultures, we highly recommend students to talk to college counselors, consultants or existing students for advice prior to applying to universities. 

UK Consultation

  • When should I start seeking advice for UK university application?
    Many students come to us the summer before their UCAS application and we work with them on personal statement / interview preparation based on their existing profile.

    From experience, if students come to us right after they complete (i)GCSE / MYP / F.4, we have an extra year to help enhance their profile. This additional preparation could greatly enhance students' personal and academic development.

  • How should I approach ARCH?
    We advise the applicant to visit ARCH for a one hour consultation. Parents are welcome to join the session. We will then decipher what areas of guidance will be beneficial, and provide the student with a roadmap according to his / her needs.

    You may also contact us via email or phone call and we will revert with necessary details.

  • What if your consultants do not cover the subject I am applying for?
    As UK universities offer a wide variety of subject choices and often in different combinations, we do not take students if we feel we cannot provide them with comprehensive and targeted advisory support.
    As such, please contact us and we will provide you with feedback accordingly.
  • When are your courses held?
    Individual consultation sessions can be scheduled according to applicants' and consultants' availability. Many of our students form their own groups for our workshops; and we will post up on the website when these group talks or workshops are available.
    Please contact us and leave us with your contact details if you are interested in being informed when any of these courses become available.
  • What if I'm a boarding school student and I'm not in Hong Kong?
    We work with many boarding school students. We can schedule individual consultation sessions according to students' and consultants' availability. We work with students over Skype, phone and email.